If your vehicle has been seized under Section 165A of the Road Traffic act 1988, the driver should have received a form 3708 seizure notice. Here’s what to do next:

How to reclaim your vehicle

You are legally required to go to the pound within seven working days of the date on the seizure notice or notice letter to reclaim your vehicle.

To reclaim your vehicle you must go to the correct pound and bring the correct documents (which are listed below).

The correct documents you need to reclaim your vehicle

Proof of identity – valid photo ID, such as:

  • passport

  • driving licence

  • EU national identity card

  • immigration document

The impound won't accept a student or employer’s ID.

Valid driving licence

Your driving licence must be either:

  • a UK photo card driving licence; if you have the old paper licence you need to bring your passport or another verifiable form of photo ID (one from the list above)

  • an EU/EEA photo card driving licence along with a passport or EU/EAA identity card

  • a non-EU/EEA driving licence together with an International Driving Permit or an official translation, plus a passport or other evidence of immigration status and date of arrival in the UK

If you've already given your licence to the police, they'll need evidence of this together with another type of verifiable photo ID (one from the list above).

If you've been disqualified in another EU member state or EEA country that disqualification applies in the UK too.

Valid certificate of motor insurance

You'll need to produce a valid certificate of motor insurance that permits the release of a vehicle impounded by a government authority before your vehicle will be released, even if you don’t intend to drive it on a public road.

These are acceptable:

  • electronic copies of the certificate on your mobile device

  • copies sent by fax or email, if they've come directly from your insurer

Please make sure you've declared all the relevant facts to your insurer, including:

  • correct registered keeper details

  • any motoring convictions in the last five years

  • any claimable incidents within the last five years, whether a claim was made or not

  • any relevant medical conditions or disability

  • correct address

  • correct date of birth

  • correct occupation

If you took out the policy after the vehicle was seized then you must also declare relevant pending convictions.

It's a serious criminal offence to fail to declare the correct material facts or to give false information when getting insurance. This can render your insurance invalid.

The police may share information with your insurer or the Motor Insurers' Bureau if they suspect an offence.

Short-term insurance or temporary cover (for a period of less than 30 days) may not be valid to reclaim a seized vehicle. Please check the wording on the certificate or cover note. If in doubt, contact your insurer before you come to the pound. 

A motor trader can't release a seized vehicle on your behalf. A motor trade policy will only permit the release of a vehicle that was:

  • the property of the motor trader

  • in their custody and control at the time of seizure

Proof of ownership

  • the full vehicle registration document (V5C) in your name together with proof of address to match the registered address, or

  • an unaltered and ‘in date’ new keeper supplement (V5C/2) together with a ‘verifiable’ bill of sale and proof of name and address to match the new keeper supplement

If a vehicle ‘in trade’ has been driven on the road without a valid trade licence displayed it must be registered to the owner immediately. The pound staff will send the relevant documents to DVLA on your behalf.


If your vehicle is over three years old and doesn't have a current MOT test pass certificate, you must:

  • bring evidence from a garage of a pre-booked MOT appointment, or

  • arrange recovery at your own expense

Vehicle excise duty (tax)

The current registered keeper is responsible for taxing a vehicle. The road tax is not transferred when the vehicle is sold to a new keeper.

If the vehicle's excise duty has expired, the vehicle may be seized again by DVLA if it's driven or parked on a public road.